Sunday, July 7, 2013

Life in the desert . . .

Dear Readers;

Hey! I was very honored to guest blog on The Daily Love today; the article is about forgiveness, and it's called Pay it For(give)Ward. Please check it out and leave a comment if you like.

Yesterday I wrote about the stereotype of people dying in the desert--and I have an awesome story about JUST THAT! Nano, my super fancy grandmother, used to tell us grandkids the story about when she was ready to leave this Earth:

She was going to put on her lipstick, don her Oscar de la Renta caftan along with her biggest earrings and highest heels, and walk slowly across the desert plains pulling her cosmetic kit on rollers behind her with one hand (yes--it was that big!) and a holding a cigarette in the other. 

I used to picture her going to face her death, her flowing robes in the desert wind, the spike of her high heels leaving marks in the sand, and her red makeup kit being dragged, leaving snakelike wheel marks on the surface. I watched intently in my mind's eye--her image getting smaller and smaller until she was only inches tall, a red cigarette tip and a thin stream of smoke all that remained.

She was definitely larger than life . . . and remains much larger than death to this day. Very dramatic exit, wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, like my mom wrote in her email earlier this week:

Dear Dana,
The desert is filled with abundance and life if we just look intently.
Love,
Mom

Personally, I am here for the life, and I am so grateful. Lucky, blessed me.
Feeling brave,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment