Monday, June 3, 2013

Release and reassign your low self-love & self-esteem!

Step out into the sun . . .
06.03.13.

Many of you know that I have been following Guru Singh as of late, and I have been receiving his daily blogs--which inspire and stretch me in ways that are amazing and life-changing. When I read his words, I am reminded that:
  • All is well;
  • I am right where I need to be and always have been (and so is everybody else);
  • I get to change how I've operated in the past (and so do others); and
  • There are great things awaiting me (and so do others), if I choose the path of enlightenment and growth, rather than fear.

I received his words last week about releasing low self-love and low self-esteem. I don't know about you, but I have had some pretty unhealthy and damn mean and nasty views of myself throughout my life. I say things in my head to myself that I would never be caught dead saying to someone else's face.

Somewhere along the way, I learned to love others before myself, to take care of others before me, and to be a martyr about the whole process, and as a a result feeling resentful and downright depleted. I believe the punch word in recovery is codependent; but that's semantics shem-antics. What I didn't realize was that I created this experience for myself, and I was the one in the driver's seat the whole time. 

You see, it's easier for me to be unhappy and blame outside conditions for my unhappiness and discontent than to look in the mirror and recognize that the monster in the mirror is actually me. It's all me, and it always has been--I just didn't know it. 

My mind has tried to figure it out this pattern and its genesis for a long time--I've been to counseling, gone to 12-step groups and meetings, attended classes on assertiveness training, to name a few. And while my mind really like to figure things out . . . I think it's time to stop trying to figure it out and just change the behavior--which is precisely the invitation and call to action I received from Guru Singh (and other ass-kickers who have recently arrived in my life . . . I just didn't recognize them either . . . sorry! and thanks! LOL). Here's what Guru Singh writes:
*************************************************************************
There comes a time in every job [ . . . ] when even the best tool must be released and the task of the tool declared done. If after the nail has been driven in, you still swing the hammer, you will damage the job that has been achieved. This is the case with low self-love and self-esteem. When these creativity drivers have completed their goal, you can proceed no further with them in place. They must be released. This is never easy; their process has become reliant and grown familiar — a habit pattern has formed and must now be broken.


The way to break this pattern is by honoring the work that they (the low self-esteem and low self-love) have already achieved. This is the tricky part . . . honoring their work and re-assigning them to yet another level of your development.



Perhaps you can assign them to keeping you humble. You will require humbleness as your excellence continues to grow. What a great new assignment! These old tools (the low self-esteem and low self-love) will love you for it and not get in your way with it . . . which they would if you were not showing this appreciation. It is not as if they are independent beings that you must deal with. They are living parts of your being and this is an energy dance of extremely high awareness. It is both an art and a science.

~ Guru Singh
*************************************************************************
We need to shed those behaviors and relationships that no longer serve our highest good, and this is especially true for those patterns we repeat in relationship to our wonderful, blessed, imperfect selves. I personally cannot think of anything more important. What unhealthy habit or pattern toward yourself will you shed on this day? Leave a comment and share your experience . . . 

Lots of Love to YOU!
Dana

p.s. Check out my guest blog "This May be the Most Important Question That Drives Our Purpose on the Planet" about addiction and recovery on The Daily Love yesterday; I would love if you would leave a comment and share your thoughts and feelings! 

Also, yesterday was the first day of the HAY HOUSE WORLD SUMMIT, an online event to inspire, heal, and begin some important conversations about life and love. IT'S FREE! I'll be blogging about it in the coming days . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment