Tuesday, February 12, 2013

mErrY VaLeNtiNe'S dAy!

Valentine's Day Tree, 2013
We Are Love!
Dear Peeps!

So every year (especially since I have become a single parent), I get a bit sad over the holidays when we have to take the Christmas tree down. I don't exactly know why, but I suspect that because I am a woman who lives in metaphors and symbols, I love the idea of having a ginormous--albeit fake--but I don't care, it's still a real(ly easy to put up and down)! sign of celebration in our home. The picture above is a transformed Christmas tree--you know, like, it's so obviously a Valentine's Tree, right?

Here's a closer look:

Notice the hundreds of hearts hanging from the boughs in place of the traditional Christmas holiday ornaments. It may, in the next months, turn into the Easter Tree (my sixth grade son, Max, is horrified), and thereafter the End-of-School Tree, 4th of July Tree, Back-2-School Tree,  . . . but I digress (not). 

I have to admit that I love surrounding myself with rituals; it's the stuff I, personally, am made of--you know, like writing in my journal, praying, meditating, teaching, blogging, cooking amazing meals for the people I love, lighting candles, and listening to amazingly inspiring (and not so inspiring, even naughty--hello RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS!) music. 

We all have a right to follow the wonderful and random things that meaningfully call us in life, as long as we do no harm to others. I think maybe Max can put up with (in positive terms: CELEBRATE) my silly need for a Valentine's Tree . . . much like I CELEBRATE things about HIM (top secret only to be revealed at his high school graduation or his wedding . . . ). 

Anyway . . . I'm not embarrassed, and I make no APOLOGIES for this tree. I LOVE IT! and I think it's so, so cool. It's beautifully, and wonderfully, ME: Dana Lynne Curry. I want my kids and the people I love to know the real me.  Lucky DOGS. Click below for the audio:

My daughter, Chloe, and I worked on and planned the Valentine's Tree for weeks! And it's lovely, and even majestic (and I secretly think Max likes it a little . . . don't tell him I told you . . .)

So, how do you infuse ritual into your life? 

Leave u a comment and share your amazing ideas with our funfreeMe community.

Super duper tree-huggin LOVE!
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment