I was thinking today about what it means to be perfect and why I try to be perfect, and what I landed on is that I thought that if I did everything perfectly, people would approve of me, or like me (have you every been around someone who acts like they are perfect? . . . I actually find people who act perfect quite annoying and humorous . . . and I used to be and am sometimes THAT girl . . . ;0( yikes, kinda funny! . . . ).
So being perfect is a way for me to feel in control (even though it is all made up in my head . . . cuz some people still don't like me no matter if I am perfect or not . . . and guess what? I can't control other people and the way they feel about me!)
Perfection comes in many disguises, like, for example,
- being the perfect student (you know, like as in, straight A's)
- being the perfect son/daughter (like you can't mess up)
- being the perfect athlete/singer/actress/_______fill in blank (no fouls, strikes, warnings,wrong notes or lines etc.)
- having a perfect body (eating disorder warning . . . been there, done that!)
- looking perfect
- kissing butt to people so they like you (even though the things you say aren't true...)
- making others dependent on you . . .
- having a perfect house
- and it goes on and on . . .
Being perfect is SOSOSOSOSOS stressful . . . and I DO IT TO MYSELF. Nobody else does it TO me (and if I feel someone expects perfection from me, I might want to have a conversation about that with them and ask them if it's true . . .).
Anyway, so that leaves us with being (im)PerFeCKT! Hmnnnn...
It's actually kind of a relief . . . takes the pressure off, and then we can just breathe, be hu(wo)man, and love ourselves even MORE. More on loving ourselves later . . .
Here's an awesome song by PiNk! to remind you that (im)PerfeCkT is the new PerfeCKt!
Have an amazingly PerFecKT day!
Smiles! and 0000 hugs and ))))) mustaches!