Wednesday, April 29, 2015

MOM! Something's NOT pErFect!


Hey All--

Something very interesting happened to me today. I was in the shower with the (albeit clear) shower door closed as well as the bathroom door closed (which means my kids are suposed to let me have "Mom time"), and my daughter rushed in through the door and knocked on the (CLEAR GLASS) shower. Awkward. I don't think it's appropriate for my kids to see me naked, even though we're family.

Anyway, she was panicked. She pounded on the glass. "Mom!" she gestured for me to clear the steam from the shower glass.

"What? It's Mommy's private shower time! I'll be out in a minute."

"Mom!" she gestured for me to clear the steam from the shower glass, AGAIN. I cleared the steam.

"Mom!" (she was very distraught). "Mom!" she urged. "Something's not perfect!" My daughter, Chloe, was crying.

"Honey, I need to finish my shower and I'll be right there, okay?" I rushed to the TV room and everything was thrown EVERYWHERE.

Chloe was so frustrated. I know that feeling.

I know what it's like to try to be perfect, and I, myself, have thought that if I did everything perfectly, people would approve of me, or like me more. (Have you every been around someone who acts like they are perfect? . . . I actually find people who act perfect quite annoying and humorous . . . and I am sometimes THAT girl) . . . yikes.

So being perfect was a way for me to feel in control. Perfection comes in many disguises, like, for example:

  • being the perfect student
  • being the perfect son/daughter
  • being the perfect athlete/singer/actress/_______fill in blank (no fouls, strikes, warnings,wrong notes or lines etc.)
  • having a perfect body (eating disorder warning)
  • looking perfect
  • kissing butt to people so they like you 
  • making others dependent on you . . .
Being perfect is SOSOSOSOSOS stressful . . . and WE DO IT TO OURSELVES. Nobody else does it TO us. Anyway, so that leaves us with being (im)PerFeCKT! Hmn...

It's actually kind of a relief . . . takes the pressure off, and then we can just breathe, be hu(wo)man, and love ourselves even MORE. 
I personally love being a dork and I want to remind you that (im)PerfeCkT is the new PerfeCKt!

BTW: Who else can be perfekctly you? NO-BODY!

You R the grace of Go(O)D-(NESS)!

;) Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment