Thursday, April 30, 2015

bE PreSeNt!


Seems like so many of us spend our energy wishing for things to be different. Do you? Personally, this habit has robbed me of being present for some pretty big chunks of my life.

The way I can tell that I'm intensely present is when I actually stop noticing the passage of
time; Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi calls this "optimal state" FLOW (and he wrote a book by the
same name!). 

If I'm not present, not in the present moment, I can generally be found up in my head, making up stuff. 

It's pretty L(one)Ly up there, now that I mention it.

It may seem simple to get out your head, but to me, it has taken some very deliberate noticing on my part of where (up in my brain?) and when (in the past or future?) I AM with respect to what's right in front of me. 

Many times, I will notice that I'm not at all present, and so I enter my surroundings and intentionally interact with what's in front of me. Sometimes I even have to NAME STUFF to get out of my head: 

"There is a tree, I can feel my feet stepping in the grass, I am breathing in . . . I am breathing out . . ."

And guess what? 

TIME DROPS OFF, AND I CAN GET OUT OF MY HEAD AND BACK ONTO THE PLANET EARTH. 

It's nice on this earthly plane; I believe I'll try to be here more . . .

Big Love ;)
Dana


No comments:

Post a Comment