Sunday, May 28, 2017

SaViNg SpiDerS . . .

(re) Arrival of Spider
05.28.17.

I've always had a sort of kinship with spiders. I grew up with a dad who used to help me understand the connections in Nature, and he used to capture spiders with coffee cups in the house and release them outside to their freedom (but not really in the winter . . . too cold). 
Killing a spider in our house was a no-no, partly because we grew up on a lake with tons of mosquitoes, and rumor had it that the spiders caught the naughty creatures and ate them. Interestingly enough, while it was completely acceptable in our household to swat mosquitoes to their death, spiders held a special position in the big scheme of life.
Although I didn't recognize totems in my younger years, I absolutely do now--and today, spider arrived for me. Here's the story:
*  *  *  *  *
My amazing husband and I are at the lake (without kids) this weekend, and I lo-o-o-o-ve to cook! So, I was making an amazing lunch today of chicken tacos with mango salsa, shredded coleslaw and broccoli salad, and fruit-infused detox water.

I dropped Keith off for an appointment and began to make our yummiliscous lunch. I checked the chicken, and I encountered a daddy long legs repelling down his string from our new oven/countertop hood. He was heading right for the hot pan of chicken (I don't think spiders like chicken, but one never knows . . .). I scooped him up and took him outside, and tried to rest him in the grass, but he kept crawling back on me. I remembered my dad taking spiders out in coffee cups and I thought, "Tree, apple; apple, tree."

And then I became open to the message in a curious way--and began to write this blog. 

Sometimes animals serve as totems--- Webster's defines a totem as: "A natural object, usually an animal that serves as a distinctive, often venerated  [respected]  emblem or symbol, usually a means of personal or spiritual identity." So, when a special animal appears to me, I  pay attention and try to figure out the animal's message for me.

Here's what I know bout Spider from SpiritAnimal.com:


spider is a remarkable figure of feminine energy and creativity in the spirit animal kingdom. Spiders are characterized by the skilled weaving of intricate webs and patience in awaiting their prey. By affinity with the spider spirit animal, you may have qualities of high receptivity and creativity. Having the spider as a power animal or totem helps you tune into life’s ebbs and flows and ingeniously weave every step of your destiny.

Spider spirit animal: Symbol of creativity & patience:

In many cultures, the spider is given credit for its ability to weave intricate webs that are a miracle of organic engineering. If you have the spider as an animal spirit guide, you may have an affinity with acts of creation and the ability to create delicate, intricate things or ideas that are also strong.
Like the spider waiting for her prey patiently, the presence of this spirit animal in your life could point to the need to show patience regarding a project or some ideas that you are trying to realize. Giving some time while paying attention to how events are unfolding and acting when the opportunity truly arise might be a lesson of wisdom from the spider spirit animal.
Thanks for your arrival, Spider! Good reminder!

No comments:

Post a Comment